1942: Hotel Pacific, 227 W. Douglas. From 1912 through the late 1960s, when it was razed to make room for Century II, the stately Hotel Pacific was a beloved Wichita landmark. It stood directly across from the Missouri-Pacific Railroad depot, and itself served as a long-distance bus terminal. Its classic sign was repainted and today advertises a truck salvage yard on North Broadway.