1952: Crawford Theater, 211 S. Topeka. Built in 1910 by theater magnate Lester M. Crawford, this 800-seat movie palace was originally known as the "New Crawford" as it replaced the existing "legitimate" Crawford Theater. Practically every structure pictured in the above left photo has been razed; today the entire north half of the block -- including the Broadway frontage once occupied by the Allis Hotel -- serves as a parking lot.