1955: 100 block of South Emporia. Loan offices, a small hotel and a seed company occupied this block fifty years ago. Today the former Lexington Hotel, built in 1914, is empty; its office space most recently served as a job placement service. The building across William Street in the background was constructed as the Eagles Lodge in 1915. In the above left photo this building is being used as the Flanagan Mortuary. It has only recently been saved from the wrecking ball as the downtown arena project unfolds, and the horrid green paint that has covered it for years has been removed, exposing the beautiful two-tone brickwork beneath.